List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-03 16:41:00

Martin Konold <konold@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Well at least with linux the memory occupied by the screensave does
> not hurt at all as long as it is not active. The kernel simply throws
> away the code pages which are currently not used if the need arises
> (no swapping or paging!)

Well, KDE is not only used on Linux and I'm not sure if every supported
OS does the same. Anyway, wouldn't it more logical to let a core
component of KDE decide when the screensaver needs to be started and
not the screensaver itself ?

BTW, some screensavers keep quite an amount of data loaded in memory
and may keep some libs (i.e. opengl) open that could be otherwise
removed from memory. and on low-mem systems (these are the users who
actually complain about KDE as a fat and slow system!) this _can_ hurt
performance significantly.

Any opinions?

--
Dirk A. Mueller