List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1999-05-03 11:09:00

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Martin Jones wrote:
> > > But that's no answer to Dirk's question and I think he has a point here.
> > > Klock should be the X screensaver and start the real one (dlopening)
> > > when
> > > X starts the screensaver. We planned that for way too long :(
> >
> > I'm interested in doing this.  What is the status of dlopen support
> > on various platforms?  Wasn't support for various platforms what
> > prevented us from doing this earlier.
>
> Would this take of the problem? Loading/unloading a library does not
> free
> up the memory of the process /me thinks.
>
> Forking when activated and killing the child when deactivated would.
>
> However, it would probably be easier just to start the screensaver
> when it needs to be activated and terminating it when deactivated.
> What's the drawback of that?

You can combine both! I can't see why you shouldn't. I think currently
the screensaver is activated by a signal. But we agree that it shouldn't
be in memory as long as no screensaver is active, but only a very small
wrapper.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.