List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-05-02 19:44:08

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth

IMHO, space optimization is a feature. It should not be of primary importance
when designing code. Premature optimization will return meagre benefits and
lead to obsfucated code. This means that KOffice and Konqueror programmers
should focus on producing working code (and having fun), not optimization. Once
they have more experience and working code then they will be in a much better
position from which to make intelligent choices about optimization.
Furthermore once they have working code they will have (more) users, some of
which might be willing to help with optimization, (especially if they have low
end machines).

On the other hand, I agree with Preston's assertion that core components with
existing working implementations shouldn't be bloated in order to add a few
features. (I don't whether this is or isn't the case with the programs listed
though)

Don // Who just spent several days looking at an excessive caching problem.