List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       1999-05-02 20:53:12

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Harri Porten wrote:

> David Faure wrote:

> > > (...)
> > >
> > > Mario's tool shows disasterous things;
> > > Data of kfm without window (just after login) is 664K. After opening my home
> > > dir, it climbes to 972K. It doesn't reduce when I close the window.
> > > Then I opened our beloved SlashDot: VmData: 5592 - and stays that way even when
> > > I close the window; Then I opened cnn.com:
> > > VmData:     5648 kB
> > > When I close the window it stays at 5.6M.
> > >
> > > Hmm... I don't get it; all html data and things are kept inside HTML widget and
> > > html widget is deleted when window closes.
> >
> > AFAIK, all images stay in the memory cache, and are not deleted.
> > But that's what the LRU cache in HEAD is for.
>
> AFA_I_K: Memory allocated by a process will never get freed. Of course,
> it will be reused but the consumption won't decrease.

Though this is true for some Unices (HPUX - at least a couple of years
ago) it is not the case for Linux. When a whole page gets freed the
page is returned to the "system pool". Oops. I tested that for
malloc/free but not for new/delete.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel: +264 - 061 - 244511
P.O.Box 30955                                    Fax: +264 - 061 - 244511
Windhoek                                         Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Republic of Namibia                                           uwe@kde.org
                                                       http://www.kde.org