List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About boxes
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-04-22 19:58:28

David Sweet wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> >>On the mail-to think, I hope we can improve on the current situation.  Currently,
> >>authors/maintainers put their personal e-mail address on the "mail to" links.  What
> >>happens when someone uses that software in 2 years, or maybe in 5 years, and that
> >>e-mail address is no longer valid (which is very likely the case; I mean in KDE's
> >>short history look how often basic programs have changed maintainers)?
> >>
> >>In short, the problem with links is they become dead quite easily, yet if you
> >>hardcode them into an application there they are, they cannot be changed.
> >>
> >>Perhaps a smarter approach is to use a stable e-mail address that will be around for
> >>a while, such as "applications@kde.org", and have the About box URL provide a
> >>subject line (the name of the application and a note to the user not to change the
> >>subject line); then on the KDE side the mail server would filter the mail and
> >>forward them to the *current* maintainer of the named application.
> >>
> >>Perhaps at the start this sounds not so good to a developer, who is thinking, I want
> >>to get my mail directly!  But, on the other hand, after you stop developing, do you
> >>still want to be getting bug reports in 3 years?
> >
> >Ok, but why not simple use an alias?
> >E.g. kppp-maintainer@kde.org
> >Only one line in /etc/alias. No need to fiddle around with the subject line.
> >
> >Ciao,
> >       Mario
>
> I like this idea.  The alias list could be generated (for the most part) from
> bugs.kde.org's database, couldn't it?

BTW: There were a ksm database rolling, haven't heard from it after 90%
of the
work was done. Unfortunatly I forgot who's done it ;( (holidays make me
forget,
which is a good thing I guess ;)

Could the one please speek up?

Greetings, Stephan

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb