List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE DB
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1999-04-11 21:16:15

Bavo De Ridder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a KDE DB idl definition. As the name suggests it is
> based on OLE DB but I have adapted the OLE DB way of doing things to the
> Unix/Corba way of doing things. It is also based on the Property service.
>
> I will post the first version (very bare and a minimum, designing something like
> KDE DB is a very complex) in a few days.
>
> In the meantime: are there some developers who would want to get involved in
> this project? Is there already such a project? What about al those ODBC based
> projects?

Bavo,

Please have a look at http://orcane.net/freeodbc++ and get in contact with Manush
about the lib. Though he's in vacation right now i expect him to return these days.
A CORBA version of this lib is planned and making a wrapper from already existing
classes is much easier. The libodbc++ is intented to become _the_ ODBC C++ library
for KDE. There are still frictions with the driver manager and the drivers but we'll \
surely roll out the stuff within the next month. I want ODBC to be fully integrated \
into KDE asap.

You might like to subscribe the freeodbc mail list also (see \
http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/freeODBC/index.html) and announce your plans there. \
I'll leave for a two week vacation on tuesday so i'll be around for discussion of the \
topic first after my return.

Lars