List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-10 13:16:21

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> [...]
> > But in regard to a componentificated text editor I suggest having a look
> > at KWrite:
> > - KWrite is based on the document view model (making adaptions to
> >   OpenParts's document view model easier IMO)
> > - is seems to be very good (!) documented
>
> If KWrite had vi+emacs keys (perhaps it's already doing some emacs, I
> don't use it), it would be ideal as an open part. I think most
> developers probably use vim or emacs. Editors like NEdit, jed, joe etc
> all have keybindings similar to emacs or to standard KDE keys anyway, I
> believe.

Beside key bindings ;-) I think another criteria for making a text editor
component is: How would use it?

Currently I see a forked codebase of KWrite :-(
In the first place it is located at its correct place, in kdeutils/kwrite
as full-fledged text editor. But then there are the kdevelop guys who
(obviously) want a nice, highlighting-capable text editor, so they copied
the files.
This is, in my very humble opinion, a situation where re-usable components
make sense.

My idea would be:

Create a general editor interface description and put it into a
standardized location for common used interfaces. (I suggested
kdelibs/corba/idl , but that's open for discussion ) . Then modify KWrite
(and perhaps KEdit, too? Or how about kfte?) to implement this interface.
=> voila, assuming that we have Torben's kded when this implementation is
done, we would have a globally re-usable editor component! :-)

And in case of the specific kwrite implementation I'm could think of this:
(assuming that the standard editor interface already exists)

Split KWrite into four parts (part != OpenPart, just to avoid
confusion :) ) :
1) the KWrite application class (OPApplication)
2) the KWrite mainwindow (OPMainWindow, pretty simple, just have a close
   look at the corba tutorials in kdelibs)
3) the KWrite View (OPView)
4) the KWrite Document (OPDocument)

Point 3) and 4) would be definitely more work, beside creating the
texteditor interface description.

...just an idea... :-)

Bye,
 Simon