List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Addressbook Database
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-04-07 20:57:10

> Why would they... ever heard of OLE DB (2.0) ???? Off course, OLE DB is a
> Microsoft technology. I think the KDE should seriously consider making
> something like OLE DB, perhaps even better.

Yup.

> What is OLE DB? It is, together with ADO, the next generation ODBC. Currently
> MS considers ODBC as obsolote. Not because they want to market something new,
> but because OLE DB is so much more powerful. With OLE DB you could have simple
> (structured) text file act as a address database. You can even join the virtual
> address table with a real SQL table in an SQL query. And this without the SQL
> server knowing anything of the address table and vice versa.

As I stated earlier; there are at least two C++ class libs for accessing data
which in turn use ODBC. One of these class libs implements a JDBC like interface (
odbc++ ). The other one, will be a part of unixODBC in the near future, combines
Qt and ODBC ( Rt ).

I created Rt after spending quite a bit of time createing an ADO work-alike. The
idea was to implement ADO first and then implement some sort of OLE-DB under it at
a later date. A couple of things lead me to can (or at least suspend) the effort.

1. amount of work involved
2. ODBC on Linux is coming of age

The main provider used for OLE-DB (when used by ADO) is the default provider....
ODBC. So most people are simply using ODBC when they use ADO. As you can see
here.... people are having a hard time accepting an ODBC layer in, ie, KDE....
what about another two layers on top of that!

> Any volunteers to start KDE DB ????

One step at a time... lets get ODBC going then worry about more general,
component, access. ODBC on Linux still needs to be refined (for wide appeal)....
no sense building a half baked solution then moving onto the next level when we
have not got a complete solution done at any level.

> please: before flaming, have a look at the MS site for a deeper inside view on
> OLE DB.

I know it quite well... but later... time can be better spend on ODBC right
now.... horse-before-the-cart and all that stuff. ODBC on Linux is on the verge of
being mature... just give it a chance.

Peter Harvey

BTW: I think I have the Lex/Yacc stuff figured out so I should have an ODBC Text
File Driver working in a day-or-two.