List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs/kdeutils shouldn't exist anymore...
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-10 17:55:54

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 08:59:12PM +0100, Matt Koss wrote:
> I have already send some messages about this, but nobody seemed to care.
Sorry.
I couldn't answer, as I didn't know k2config - and still don't really.
But I'm concerned with an additionnal, not necessary, library.

> So I took my own solution.
You did well.

> k2config is used in kiolib only for a file called kio.kfg, which stores
> information about protocols etc.
>
> For storing option for kioslave I have created a section called "common" in
> file kio.kfg,  which stored some options for kioslaves.
> But then I got to the problem that k2config doesn't use regular scheme =
> default config directory + local config directory, and thus all options didn't
> get saved ( if the user didn't have permissions for default dir ).
>
> That's why I have changed kio_manager and now it stores all other options (
> proxies etc. ) in kioslaverc, which is a normal kconfig file.
> k2config could replace kconfig but it would have to be tailored for current
> config scheme ( two config files ).

Ah. So with the current kconfig and k2config, you need both for
kioslaves. Hmm. Which one should we do ?
* Extend kconfig to support what k2config supports and kconfig doesn't (i.e. ?)
* Replace k2config by kconfig : I think this is a *bad* idea. Too many apps
use it. And it's tailored for most apps needs, afaik.

> I think that k2url should replace kurl.
I think so too, but can you elaborate ? Not everybody seems convinced...

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org