List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-02-14 19:22:10

Oops! Once again. This time to the list:)

Paul Campbell wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Patrick D. Dowler wrote:
>
> >* the reason that I call these "hacks" is that if you install KDE in a
> >standard unix network enviromment - for use by users -  you end
> >up disabling or removing a fair number of things. I just don't think
> >such things should be appearing in the menus of normal users.
>
> I think there is a correctb place for these sorts of things - it's in the
> control panel - but what we also need is a mechanism where
> things are automatically included/left out of the control panel
> depending on whether or not the user is able to change them
> or not.
>
> A good example is the "Login manager" that shouldn't appear
> in the panel unless the user is root.

I think itīs not good to use KControlCenter for this. There should be an
extra application for sys admin tasks. I fact it can be a modified
KContrlCenter but with another name and it should go into the kdeadmin
package. What about KSAT = KDE System Administration Terminal? KControl
should only contain things that any user may change.
Would be cool if both could be CORBAized to allow remote control them,
e.g. for setup wizards.

[snip]
> The laptop pane I'm writing is a very Linux specific sort of thing
> that shouldn't be in a 'general' KDE distribution - however a number of
> my users are pushing me to get it included there. Is there a mechanism
> for files that only get built in certain environments? (Should
> there be a Linux specific module, a Solaris one etc? in much the
> same way there is currently a redhat one?)
I think it would indeed be useful to have system specifc kde modules as
well. For config stuff for instance.

>      Paul Campbell

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology