List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mmaping icons
From:       Robert =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sch=F6ftner?= <r.schoeftner () magnet ! at>
Date:       1999-02-11 20:39:13

Am Thu, 11 Feb 1999 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
>Hi!
>
>It just came to my mind, that each and every application
>loads tons of icons into the memory and that KIconloader
>caches these icons, but it does only cache for one application.
>
>Can't we use shared memory for them? I mean is this
>technicly possible? I know that sharing them per se
>would work, but how could this be done? Sharing the
>files's contens would only save some kilobytes, but
>I think sharing the QPixmap objects right away could
>save a lot, since each and every QPixmap is saved into
>the X server's memory. What if KIconloader detects
>"somehow" that there is already this pixmap in the
>X server and only references this one instead of
>creating a deep copy? You know? This gets even more
>important when we used textured styles, where each
>application loads 30kb or more for their textures.

it would need some sort of daemon that maintains a list of already loaded
pixmaps. KIconLoader would then query the daemon for a pixmap via some
rpc-mechanism for the id of the drawable...

this daemon could put a special hidden window on the display that can be sent
X-events and then send X-event back with the handle of the pixmap. this would
not need any app-bloating rpc-mechanism and integrates neatly with X :))

(and, of course, this daemon could be queried for different sizes, be a
raytracer and so on ;-)

servas,
  robert

--
Robert     GS@  PGP+       Die Justiz ist wie die Venus von Milo:
Schöftner  G++? [...]      Einen Kopf, aber keine Arme