List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why KAB isn't going to cut it.
From:       Bavo De Ridder <bavo () ace ! ulyssis ! student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       1998-12-22 21:05:50

I haven't followed the Kab discussion from the beginning, but this what I
wanted to say:

Has anyone considered modeling Kab databases on top of LDAP? LDAP is the number
one emerging technology for those purposes. I am currently looking at ways of
using directory services and namespaces in the KDE environment. I already have
some very rudimentary blue-prints for a virtual namespace in the KDE. Instead
of accessing the regular filesystem directly, one would access it through an
extra virtual namespace layer. The virtual namespace would be constructed (at
runtime) from several existing namespaces like the filesystem, ftp-servers,
mail, static configuration data, ... The user would then browse that virtual
namespace without knowing it actually exists of several independent namespaces.

So a namespace would consist of directories and file-objects. File-objects can
be everything: regular files, versions of files, configuration data, LDAP
content, ... Every file-object has a corresponding (mime)type. A seperate
KDE Activation Framework would than be responsible for activating any necessary
program/library/KOM Part/... to perform the requested action on the file-object
with a particuar (mime)type.

This is a project with a major impact on the existing KDE applications. At
least some parts of the KDE libraries will have to be rewritten: KFM, KFile,

Bavo De Ridder