List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developer setups for user D-Bus service files?
From:       David Edmundson <david () davidedmundson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2022-01-11 21:49:47

>at least with systemd controlled start (but possibly also before

Since forever.

>So, what standard approach should we take as developers here?

Personally I would say developers should avoid having a system
installed KDE, you're only making life harder for yourself.
Then things are relatively easy. You still have to do some editing of
/etc/ but only once and you have no confusions.

----

But I appreciate that's not a good solution for everyone. So to
brainstorm some options.

For systemd services I couldn't find a good solution so on a dev
session on startup they copy all relevant files to
$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/whatever then reload everything.
This is copied from gnome (I think they then run a nested systemd
--user maybe dbus too?)

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/blob/master/login-sessions/startplasma-dev.sh.cmake

----
I did start another idea.

If you populate the dev session environment variables *really* early
must we even go through pam you can set your XDG_DATA_DIRS before DBus
daemon has loaded it will then have the right stuff.
I made a patch doing that: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1370
which is merged but not released:

It's not perfect, you still have the issue of polkit/system dbus. It
also has a scope of lasting for the duration that the user is logged
in, not the duration you're in Plasma; but probably fixes 90% of
cases.

David