List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Version Error while building KDE frameworks and Qt5
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-06-13 23:01:23

On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 10:49:26AM +0530, Bhavesh Patidar wrote:
> Hello Everyone.
> For building Elisa from kdesrc-build, I am building the dependencies from
> here:
> https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Install_the_dependencies
>

> But this is installing version 5.9.5 for Qt and version 5.44 for all kde
> frameworks. Elisa requires versions 5.10.0 and 5.45 respectively. How can I
> install these versions? I would be really grateful if someone can help me
> out since I have spent a lot of time building the dependencies but its
> resulting in errors while building elisa.

Hi Bhavesh,

If you're just trying to build a single application like Elisa then it's
usually best to install dependencies from your Linux distribution if
possible.

If the distribution's own packages are outdated, like they are here,
there are usually additional package repositories you could add that
have more up-to-date versions. For example Kubuntu has a "Kubuntu
Backports" repository that gets new major releases of KDE Frameworks,
see https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa (they don't seem to have newer Qt
though, since KF5 compiles without an updated Qt).

If that isn't suitable then kdesrc-build can be made to build the
missing KDE Frameworks as well, which would take care of those
libraries.

Qt is a bit more difficult from kdesrc-build, there's no official
support for it since Qt 5 has its own set of scripts for building. The
easiest thing is probably to build Qt 5 following the instructions at
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-building.html (these simplified instructions
assume you download the whole source at once).

Once built and installed, you would need to make the Qt you built the
preferred Qt library on your distribution to avoid mixing Qt versions.
The way to do this is dependent on your distribution, setting PATH to
prefer your custom-built Qt's binaries is typically mandatory, and
potentially LD_LIBRARY_PATH to Qt's libraries.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not normally required if you're building all
KDE-based software through kdesrc-build (since the build step will
record the preferred Qt library), but if you're continuing to use KDE
Framework libraries provided by your distribution with your own custom
Qt, then it might be required so that your distribution-provided KF5
libraries don't use the distribution's Qt.

There are some detailed instructions on building from source at
https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source which
may help.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne