List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DragonPlayer
From:       pointedstick <pointedstick () zoho ! com>
Date:       2017-12-08 21:36:58

---- On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 13:04:12 -0800 Harald Sitter&lt;sitter@kde.org&gt; wrote \
----  It's maintained just fine
https://phabricator.kde.org/R259:b06cd9e1fbacefabdd2c0fa61f9af39cead25d8e.
It's not getting better, it's not getting worse it's getting
maintained at the level it is at. What Nate is asking for is an active
developer... and that is an entirely different problem which speaks
more to the community investment in our applications than anything
else.

Sorry Harald, I hope I haven't offended you! I want to be clear that I'm not trying \
to dump on DragonPlayer at all or call for its execution. Rather, I'd like to make \
the case that it doesn't serve our users to continue distributing software that's \
degrading over time due to bit rot--the fate of all software that's not receiving \
active development. Bug reports become a black hole of frustration for users \
("Hellooooo! Why isn't this fixed yet? Why hasn't anyone even looked at it!?") and \
become a source of overwhelm and depression for the developers ("Oh no, another bug \
that I don't have the time or energy to fix..."). If we aren't going to get rid of \
DragonPlayer, then we need to rehabilitate or rewrite it! Anything to inject some new \
energy into the system. For that matter the same is true of Baloo...

VLC is already a do-everything kitchen sink program, and yeah, with a Qt UI, it's \
right at home on Plasma, though of course some KDE contribution to further refine the \
UI would be great. DragonPlayer can't compete with it on the basis of features, so I \
think it does make sense to get back to basics and make it or its successor a really \
lightweight minimal program that only does one thing and does it well. We would need \
to aggressively resist feature creep, directing users to VLC or something else when \
they make requests for additional features.

If there's not enough support or development time for that, then we might indeed want \
to consider contributing more to VLC instead. Those contributions would have a huge \
impact, and there's certainly a lot to do! For example, in Plasma, VLC is still \
unable to play media on password-protected Samba shares without using the command \
line or resorting to entering the share's credentials in VLC's own config module: \
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/18993

Nate