List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE Accessibility Docmentation
From:       Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-01-21 1:01:03

Hi,

after a few requests, I spent some time today trying to provide a some docu=
mentation for KDE accessibility.
Keep in mind that this is such a broad topic that I can only hope to see th=
e tip of the iceberg.
I am currently in A Coru=F1a at the Gnome accessibility hackfest in order t=
o learn and cooperate.

I put the documentation in two places, trying to give it some structure but=
 I know it needs some help and polish.
If you spot errors or think that it can be improved, please do so.

The user documentation can be found here:
http://userbase.kde.org/Accessibility

My request to people testing kde applications with screen readers would be =
to record your experiences. Especially when an application is almost useabl=
e, send a mail to the kde-accessibility@kde.org list and maybe put a few no=
tes in the list of applications (http://userbase.kde.org/Accessibility/Appl=
ication_Overview).
Yes, I think it is about time to start testing. I know there are a few open=
 bugs, we put a first round into Qt 4.8.1 today.

For developers, I tried to summarize some things here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Accessibility

It would be great if people with actual knowledge of what needs to be done =
for good experiences with screen readers and other accessibility needs coul=
d add to the checklist.

If you would like to help with this effort, please let me know.
I'm looking for help with moving the good contents that may lurk on accessi=
bility.kde.org over to the wikis.
If you can generally check/proofread/improve the documentation, that would =
be fabulous.

I have some work for applications started, an unfinished Kate patch for exa=
mple, but we need feedback, which appliations you would like to be accessib=
le.
On the other hand, I'm more than happy for every developer that is interest=
ed in fixing their application or doing some general work in this area.
And finally we need people to help test all this, best if you want an appli=
cation to be usefull to you. Feedback appreciated!

Join #kde-accessibility on freenode.

Cheers
Frederik