List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Hacking KDE applications
From:       Bjoern Schiessle <bjoern () schiessle ! org>
Date:       2012-01-07 12:16:31

Hi all,

some weeks ago I started hacking some small KDE apps. Most notable
Choqok. But to run and test my modified versions I always had to install
the program system wide. Running it from my home directory result in
empty setting dialogues and messages like this:

choqok(18397)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers:
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "Choqok/Plugin"  not found

Since the system is not only a development system but also my productive
day-to-day system I consider it quite unfortunate to install a
application system wide just to test my modifications.

How does other KDE developers handle this situation? Is it possible to
compile and run a program in my home directory without messing up my
system installation?

Thanks!
Björn

--