List:       kde-devel
Subject:    4.7.4 still loading kicker and desktop from Trinity on Arch Linux
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-03 21:46:16

Guys,

   I am trying to fix 4.7.4 so that it does not load the Trinity kicker
(3.5.13) and desktop after loading the plasma panel and desktop on Arch Linux.
I can't find the files or hooks in 4.7.4 that do this.

The Problem:

   KDE 4.7.4 on Arch Linux loads the plasma panel and desktop THEN loads the
kde3 kicker and desktop from Trinity resulting is 2 panels at the bottom (kde3
kicker stacked just above the plasma panel) AND then loads the kde3 desktop
over the plasma desktop resulting in kde3 window decorations and context menus
in KDE 4. This occurs even if you delete ~/.kde* and all
/var/tmp/kdecache-$USER files before launching 4.7.4. The 4.7.4 install is in
the default /usr/bin location and Trinity is in /opt/trinity or /opt/kde so
there should be no conflict.

Help Needed:;

   I cannot figure out why or how 4.7.4 hunts through the system to find the
Trinity kicker and desktop. Likewise, I can't figure out why 4.7.4 would load
the kicker or desktop AFTER it loads the plasma panel and plasma desktop. More
importantly, I need to figure out how to stop 4.7.4 from doing this on Arch.

   Does anybody have any idea where the logic in 4.7.4 would reside that
causes 4.7.4 to do this? It has been this way for a long time, so this isn't
new to 4.7.4 on Arch Linux.  Arch does basically a straight build from the KDE
source, so this issue shouldn't be Arch specific, rather it looks like there
are old hooks in 4.7.4 from the early 4.0.X days that looked for kde3 and then
used that config as a basis to set up KDE4. I think this is the issue.

   Anybody know where this stuff lives or how to fix it? I know think the
openSuSE folks must have a work-around because IIRC, this does not occur on
that distro, but it does occur on Arch. The only other possibility I can think
of is some strange X11/xdm/xdg/kdm issue that might cause this as well, but
I've been through the xinit on Arch pretty closely and there is nothing
apparent there.

   What say the experts on this issue?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.