List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need Help with adding shortcut to Desktop
From:       Filip Brcic <brcha () gna ! org>
Date:       2011-07-29 16:02:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Jens,

On среда, 20. јул 2011. 14.54.42 Jens Dunzweiler wrote:
> i have to add a shortcut (.desktop) to all user desktops from shell.
> It would be great this should be systemwide so that it affects current as
> well as future Users.

For all future users add the .desktop file into /etc/skel/Desktop/ directory.
That would propagate the .desktop file for all future users.

For current users there is no way to do that using system tools. The best way
would be to create some script that would autostart with new login session
(/usr/share/autostart or /etc/X11/Xsession.d), check if there is a
~/.desktop_file_already_installed file present and, if not, install the .desktop
into ~/Desktop (and touch ~/.desktop_file_already_installed or what ever).

> It must be visible in every desktop mode (not only show folder mode).

Well, in show folder it is easy and described above. Otherwise you'd have to
reconfigure ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc or something like that.
I'm not aware of some commands that would do that for you.

Best regards,
Filip

PS: Please don't implement this. I hate applications which auto-create desktop
shortcuts :)

--
Filip Brcic <brcha@gna.org>
WWWeb: http://brcha.com