List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developpement idea, GSOC project ?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-30 17:17:28

On March 27, 2010, Romain Couturat wrote:
> KGet is a download manager, my idea is to improve KDE's copy/move
> functionnalities.

is it really useful in the general case? it seems to me that this is really
something that KGet should be managing. managing a "download" is no different
from moving or copying files around.

my concern about putting this directly into KIO is that not only will KIO
become more complex itself but the UI will as well for little to no extra gain
to most of our users. they'll just get a more complex UI.

i do think it would make a nice set of additions to KGet, and it would be
quite interesting to allow KGet to (optionally) manage things like large
moves/copies between local filesystems as well (if it can't already?)

also, if you perhaps start with concrete use cases it may help others to
understand more fully what you wish to achieve in terms of user relevant
benefits and general goals for the project.

cheers :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se