List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GSoC project idea:solving smartphone management problem
From:       Dinesh <saidinesh5 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-21 9:59:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I am  Dinesh, an undergraduate looking to spend my summer contributing
full-time to KDE via the Google
Summer of Code by making A proper Smartphone managing suite for KDE.

Basically i m interested in integrating the existing tools like obexfs,
opensync-syncml to make a proper smartphone managing software for KDE,as a
part of my GSoC 2010 proposal. with this I aim to achieve the basic tasks of
syncing photos, music, videos and PIM data in the pre installed applications
like gwen view, amarok , kontact with many smartphones over USB or
Bluetooth. Also there is a current GSoC project which is planning to bring
support of generic media devices, so both that project and my project will
benifit a lot because of this.  Also, since using a phone as a dial up modem
via bluetooth is still a tricky task, i aim to add this feature too... what
i wont be doing is adding things like sending sms, dialing numbers from PC.
At the very least this project will be useful for atleast 50% of the
smartphones in the market.(statistics from wikipedia: symbian has 50% market
share). Even though i aim to shoot a moving target, with the market share of
the phones changing rapidly, this project will still be useful to a great
majority of people, and the remaining platforms like iPhone, Android etc..
can be made to support these protocols(if they already dont) by writing
native phone applications.

what i am looking for is a mentor, suggestions and your feedback, so that i
can add this to the official ideas page.

Thanks,
Dinesh

p.s I ve submitted the same project proposal to (k)ubuntu GSoC 2010, and i
was advised that KDE is also a good place to submit this same idea,just
incase. So I assure, there is no plagiarism involved.