List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: In need of input for a desktop search default behaviour
From:       Andreas Hartmetz <ahartmetz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-10 21:51:34

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:11:58 Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> Currently the Nepomuk query API will add a wildcard '*' to each full
> text search term so terms like "Nepo" will also match "Nepomuk".
> Recently some concern has been raised[1] about this practice and I tend
> to agree with it.
> Basically the competing idea is to not add a wildcard automatically but
> let the user specify it like so:
>
> "nepo*"
>
> The advantage is that 1. we would support both wildcard matching and
> non-wildcard matching and 2. simple full-text queries would be speed up
> a little bit. The disadvantage is that it would be a behavioral change
> in the API (the old behavior is not documented though).
>
> So I need some opinions here.

Strong agreement with not adding wildcards.
In a GUI for users who don't know about *, "match exact word(s)" can be added.
By the way, how much would query speed improve? I'd only see this as a
beneficial side effect, but I noticed that searching through my 4.4 GB
database took about half a minute on my 2 GHz Phenom desktop machine.