List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SSL support
From:       "kuddel-fl" <kuddel-fl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-03-06 10:46:08

Hi!

Am Samstag, 20. Februar 2010 13:28:20 schrieb Thomas McGuire:
> Hi Ulrich,
>
> On Saturday 20 February 2010 12:53:23 kuddel-fl wrote:

> > > I am ashamed about the current state of things...
> > > Look at KTcpSocket and pretend that it's a kind of QSslSocket for
> > > documentation :/, and also look at KIO::SslUi for some user
> > > interface-related helpers.
> > > I'm currently picking up work on the SSL stuff again, so I should be
> > > able to answer any specific questions, preferably on IRC (#kde-devel
> > > on freenode) because there will be long e-mail threads otherwise.
> >
> > Very thanks.
> >
> > I use it like QSslSocket and it works. In  the  majority  of  cases.
> > It works at the provider Freenet with and without SSL. It works at the
> > provider GMX without SSL but it doesn't work with SSL. In the midst of
> > the POP3 dialog the byte stream breaking off an i get a timeout error.
> >
> > This is my code to read from the socket:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > Is there any better way to read the socket? Because KMail works with GMX
> > using SSL.
>
> It is better to use KTcpSocket for KDE applications, as that will give you
> the standard KDE SSL certificate handling, so you don't have to code that
> manually.
I use KTcpSocket. Maybe I have phrased it mistakable. My english is poor. :o)

> KMail currently uses the POP3 KIO slave in kdepimlibs/kioslave/pop3, which
> is based on KIO::TCPSlaveBase, which also uses KTcpSocket. The slave has
> some custom line reading code which seems to work ok, so maybe you should
> have a look at the POP3 KIO slave and at TCPSlaveBase.
In earlier versions I have used this too. And I looked at code of
KIO::TCPSlaveBase. But it is similar to my code.

> It would be great if we could share the POP3 code. Currently, there is POP3
> code in the KIO slave in kdepimlibs, and probably similar code in
> KShowMail. If we could share this code by putting in in a library, we
> could get rid of the duplicate effort, which saves both of us maintenance
> effort in the long term.
>
> I imagine something similar to the KIMAP library in kdepimlibs, which
> provides a nice job-based API.
>
> For KMail 2, we have an Akonadi POP3 resource, which currently uses the KIO
> slave. It would be much nicer to use a POP3 library, without the need to
> fiddle around with KIO slaves, so that's why I would appreciate a POP3
> library.
>
> If you are interested in collaborating on such a library, please contact me
> or find me on the #kontact channel on IRC.
Unfortunately  I have not much time to seriously work on another project. I
feel like doing this. But it is already difficult to find few minutes for my
Kshowmail. :o(

> I had a quick look at the sources of the KDE3 version of KShowMail. It
> implements mail parsing by itself, for example in showrecordelem.cpp and in
> decodeRFC2047.cpp. That is now all available in the KDE MIME library KMime,
> which can be found in kdepimlibs. Using this would save you a lot of effort
> as well. Again, please join #kontact if you have any questions about
> KMime. The documentation on KMime is a bit sparse, I plan on improving
> that in the next days.
Thank you. In the coming version I'm already using some things of this
library. I have already found another nice things in this.

Regards

Ulrich Weigelt
KShowmail Maintainer