List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compilation error in kdesupport
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2008-12-09 10:39:58

On Monday 08 December 2008 18:31:57 Raul Fernandes wrote:
> > Please fix your system. The code is correct both in Qt and in KDE:
> > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/if_nametoindex.ht
> >ml That's the POSIX.1 definition. It says if_nametoindex is in net/if.h.
>
> AFAIK the linux doesn't follow posix strictly. I don't know why but
> they have moved the header.

I sincerely doubt they would ever move net/if.h --- it would break too many
compilations.  Indeed, here I have:

esben@mosegris:~$ locate */if.h
/usr/include/linux/if.h
/usr/include/net/if.h

Searching for where I got those 2 files from gets me:

esben@mosegris:~$ dpkg -S /usr/include/net/if.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/net/if.h

esben@mosegris:~$ dpkg -S /usr/include/linux/if.h
linux-libc-dev: /usr/include/linux/if.h

I suspect that you are missing a libc6-dev package or similar. Try looking for
the file in your distribution's package search facility.

--
kind regards, Esben