List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classmate etc compiles
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-08-28 18:36:24

Il Tuesday 28 August 2007 19:47:16 Elio Cuevas ha scritto:

> > Why do you say that? I think gentoo is irrelevant here.
>
> Sorry i think misunderstood the original message.

Ok.

> The point would be to be able to disable certain KDE features at compile
>
> > time
> > that are too cpu-intensive/power-hungry for certain classes of machines.
>
> I have the impresion that Linux and KDE are not made for old or lowend
> machines. Not with a lot of work anyway. New distros are every day becoming
> more and more dificult to install in these machines.

Linux is used in very small systems too, so there's no problem there. It may
help to tweak the configuration options...

And KDE (KDE3, I mean) can already run quite well on not-too recent hardware.
CPU power is not too important for normal tasks, but more than say 256MiB of
RAM is needed to work without too much swapping. With tweaks, you may have a
minimal, if swap-happy, system with even less memory than that, if you take
care of disabling memory intensive stuff (like, using a solid color as the
desktop background). I didn't try KDE4 on older systems yet (unless you
consider my desktop an old system: Athlon 2200, 1GB RAM and Radeon 9250), but
it should not be much worse... or it could be made to work well, maybe with
simpler decorations than Oxygen.

With a bit of work on KDE components, the situation may improve.

Luciano