List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP over windows...
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-08-21 16:32:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 16:50:54 seemanta@gmail.com wrote:
> I have been searching a while for the possibility of using DCOP over
> windows. I am not sure, but it seems that kdelibs has been compiled over
> windows. (http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

DCOP is no longer being developed. You're on your own.

> Also, there has to be a minimum version of QT needed for compiling DCOP,
> right ?

Yes, DCOP uses Qt, so you need to have it installed and working. It only uses
Qt, so your dependencies should be fine.

The only external dependency is libICE, but that is bundled into DCOP as of
KDE 3.x. Fortunately for you, there seems to be some Windows code in it (I
see an include for winsock2.h).

Unfortunately for you, there is also X11-dependent code.

> I need to have DCOP in windows as well as on my embedded environment
> which has Qt 2.3. (sigh!)

No help from us in either case. Qt 2 has long been unsupported on the desktop.
KDE was never meant to run on Qt/e 2.3.

The current effort I know of for embedded is based on Qtopia 4.x

> The basic idea is to make communication possible between my embedded
> qapplication
> and my windows qapplication via DCOP.
>
> DCOP is preferred because it provides the necessary serialization of
> the objects and also enables us to replace our host application with a
> linux/kde based one from a windows based one in the future.

DCOP wasn't designed to work outside the same machine. It's highly dependent
on some type sizes and maybe even endianness.

> Any useful insights/suggestion would be really helpful.

Yes: use your own protocol, based on QDataStream. Be careful that the same
type and endianness problems may be present there.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358