List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde compile newbie
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-08-17 16:42:42

dave wrote:
> I just built most, if not all, of the kde 3.5.6  packages for 64-bit AMD
> OpenBSD 4.1.  The build took 11 hours, but completed without errors. Building
> the OpenBSD port of KDE consisted of logging in as root, downloading the
> OpenBSD ports tree from an OpenBSD mirror, cd'ing to /usr/ports/x11/kde,
> running make, and then waiting for it to complete.

Um... you should not need to be root. Unless you really, really want to
replace your distro's version of KDE (or I suppose, if you don't have a
distro version) you should install to a directory just for KDE (I like
/usr/local/kde-3.5.7), in which case the only thing you need to be root
for is to create and chown the install directory. And even if you *do*
want to install to /usr/local, you don't need to be root to build.

*DO NOT*, under any circumstances, run 'make check' as root. It will do
Evil. You have been warned.

--
Matthew
"Still not King." -- Aragorn