List:       kde-devel
Subject:    For whom is KDE designing for?
From:       Holger Macht <holger () homac ! de>
Date:       2007-05-25 10:39:25

Hi,

simple question, complicated answer. For whom is KDE designing for?
What's the target group? Maybe someone can help me answering it...

I think that's the central question when designing graphical user
interfaces. It heavily depends on the point of view. For simplicity, I'm
categorizing possible target people into five major groups. Please don't
argue about the descriptions, you should get the idea...

  1. Users. The most simplest users you might think of. Browsing,
     writing, playing, chatting, that's it! The experienced GNOME user,
     if you like to call it that way ;-)

  2. Advanced _users_. Having an idea of what "configuration" is and are
     willing to change something about their graphical user experience to
     fit their personal needs.

  3. System administrators. Knowing what a terminal is and how to use a
     terminal based editor. Having an idea about what's behind the fancy
     graphics.

  4. Programmers. Everything has to be so that most productive work can be
     done. "The desktop is some kind of IDE"

  5. All of the above mentioned, making KDE so heavily configurable that
     every distro and every company is able to customize it in such an
     drastic way that it fits their own personal target group.

I read several FAQs and papers from KDE usability but couldn't find an
answer to that question. Is there one?

Thanks,
	Holger