List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] A mockup of Konqueror
From:       Jonas Widarsson <jonas () widarsson ! com>
Date:       2006-03-14 10:59:06

Thiago Macieira wrote:

>Iņaki wrote:
>

>>Hi, first of all I'm sorry for this Off Topic in a devel list. I've done
>>a mockup of Konqueror for KDE4 and I'd like to know if it is feasible
>>with the Qt4 libraries.
>>

>Yes, everything is possible :-)
>
>The question is how much work it would require of us to implement it.
>
>Now, really, congratulations on the work. It's really well-done. I caught
>myself clicking on buttons like it were for real...

Seconded. Very good.
At first I almost got upset when I saw the GNOME style location bar:
" It could be nice if we click in the folders of the actual location for
a faster navigation. Maybe just in local file mode (not in http or other
remote protocols).
Of course this could be configurable by the user (this is KDE, this is
for ALL the users)."

That, in my opinion, is one of the not so nice ideas I've seen. It's all
but user friendly. I can imagine Mac OS 9.x users would find it useful,
but I am not sure I want to see that in KDE as default. Sure, support
it, but do not force this upon anyone. I use firefox with great disgust
because of that feature in its file open/save dialogs.
I was releaved when I discovered the location bar in the mockup was
easily replaced with the usual URL-style.

Besides, usability wise, it took only a couple of minutes to show my
mother what the url means when I got her going on her first computer, on
her 60 year old birthday, using KDE 3.4.
- AAAHAAAA! she exclaimed.

Other than that, I like this very much. And you made me realize that I
too never use those unnecessary toolbar buttons. I agree that a default
of four buttons is good.

/Jonas