List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: sqlite in kdelibs
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-01-19 17:43:41

> This is insane.  Why the heck do we need SQLite in KDE libs

I replied to other's idea and also disagree about putting sqlite sources to
kdelibs. Since sqlite is dlopened as a driver, no matter if via QSQL or higher
level stuff like KexiDB, it's not an issue. The issue is that, as we can see,
people wanted to keep sqlite source code somewhere in kde cvs, and looks like
there are many places where sqlite is kept. That's not good, yeah?

I can tell only about usage sqlite within Kexi - we're keeping sqlite (2 and
3) sources because of previous problems on 64bit platforms, to ease packaging
until the stuff become stable in distributions, and we've generated config.h.
That's almost all, but we're going to have things like ALTER TABLE (at least
latering table name i working, implemented in Kexi) so that couldn't depend on
regular sqlite packages.
My probably biased vote would be to store such sqlite 2 and 3 source code
trees somewhere in kde cvs and define rules for packagers by naming them
kdesqlite{2,3}.so or so and let kde devs use just that. I used kexisql.so
within Kexi to avoid conflicts, and BTW, packagers are told to extract sqlite
driver to separate package.

ABIT-OFF-TOPIC: Anybody can check what to use - lower level API like QSQL or
higher level one, like KexiDB. I mentioned KexiDB it this thread to avoid
situations when people starting to bring ideas we were discussed many time in
2003 or so. Yes, kudos for QSQL which is more stable (maybe due to
simplifications in design), but there's freedom also of choosing own way to do
things, usually more automated way. If people only wanted to code their forms
in C++ by hand, there would be no Delphi/Kylix, MS Access or Oracle forms
libraries so popular.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team