List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem with media:/
From:       Jakub Stachowski <stachowski () hypair ! net>
Date:       2004-12-23 20:19:10

Dnia czwartek, 23 grudnia 2004 21:17, Adam Pigg napisał:
> Lo
>
> The following happens when using media:/ (which is otherwise great btw :o)
>
> I click media:/
> a hd
> browse to an avi
> click it
> instead of it opening in kmplayer, konqueror downloads it to a temp file.
>
> Working from kaffeine
> broswe to media:/........avi file
> click it
> kaffeine states it can only play local files
>
> Discussing it on #kde-devel would indicate that the problem lies with the
> way media:/ browses, eg:
> media:/hda/movies/blah.avi

And media:/ protocol is not recognized as local using KURL::isLocalFile.
And fixing isLocalFile to recognize media won't do either as path under media
is different than real file path.

> which is different from the way it used to work (clicking a drive would
> browse to file:/mnt/hd)
>
> The first way allows the 'up' button to work correctly but breaks opening
> files, the second breaks the up button but allows opening files.

This is what you get for using redirection() instead of "masquerading" way
used by  ForwardingSlaveBase.

> It would be nice to 'have your cake and eat it' but i guess it maybe needs
> discussed.

If there is really no solution then I would rather see "up" button broken than
for example files on usb-stick acting weird.