List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up with longhorn?
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () taniwha ! com>
Date:       2003-11-07 22:25:32

On Friday 07 November 2003 02:10 pm, Simon Perreault wrote:
 > Don't forget: you can't create information. What you're doing
> with smooth scaling is not much better than normal scaling.
> Now, you could invent something kinda like a high-pass filter,
> like the super eagle (is that how it's called) used in some
> console emulator.

exactly right - I think what you probably mean is some sort of
sinc filter (aka box filter, polyphase filter, fir filter etc)
which is a common filter used in video filtering - I've built a
number both in hardware and software - as a rule they are much
more computationally intensive than simple bilinear interolation
(fell free to contact me if want some help in this area).

Scaling up never creates new data - if you have an image with
sharp edges you may want to use an interpolation scheme that
keeps edge if you want a small pixolated icon (like the sample)
to retain its 'look and feel' on the other hand if you have a
background image or wash you may want to smooth things out as
you go to avoid jaggies or banding - what you use really depends
on the context and the images.

Making large things smaller almost always looks better than
making small things bigger because you start off with more
information not less (on the other hand it's a lot more work
because you have to process all that information)

	Paul Campbell