List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Getting Listed in Meta Search Engines
From:       lisa () trafficpost ! net (TrafficPost)
Date:       2003-09-29 14:52:31

GETTING LISTED IN META SEARCH ENGINES

Welcome to TrafficPost, an informative newsletter about search engine placement. Are \
you interested in bringing more Internet traffic to your business? If you respond to \
this email we will provide a free analysis of your Web site.

Meta search engines such as Ask Jeeves and Hotbot have become popular search tools. \
This week's newsletter will talk about how meta search engines differ from regular \
search engines and how to get listed in them.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A META SEARCH ENGINE AND A REGULAR SEARCH ENGINE?
Meta search engines are very different from regular search engines. The main \
distinction is that meta search engines do not have their own databases. They do not \
review Websites and they do not index them. Instead a meta search engine will perform \
a query on many different search engines simultaneously. Your search terms are \
automatically sent to the databases of other search engines like Alta Vista, Fast, \
Look Smart, MSN, Open Directory, Overture, or Yahoo. The results pulled from those \
search engines are merged together and presented as one unified set of results.

ARE META SEARCH ENGINES BETTER THAN INDIVIDUAL SEARCH ENGINES?
This is a difficult question to answer. If you perform your search on a single search \
engine you will get a large number of results, but only Websites in that engine's \
database will appear. Since meta search engines give you access to multiple databases \
they often produce more varied results. Unfortunately, those results are also limited \
since often only the top hits from each of the databases appear in the meta search \
engine results.

The success of your Meta search query will depend on several factors. The status of \
each individual search engine will affect your query. Busy servers, timeouts and slow \
a search on a meta search engines since they do not handle complex search queries \
intelligently. They do not recognize search terms such as "and", "or", and "not". \
Finally, not all major engines are accessible by meta search engines. Google, for \
instance, says they do not allow their database to be searched by meta engines \
because they claim that it would drain their resources.

HOW DO I GET LISTED IN META SEARCH ENGINES?
To get your site listed in a meta search engine your site needs to have been indexed \
by the other search engines it pulls its results from. A good ranking in one search \
engine can thus do double duty by getting you good ranking on meta search engines \
too.

Below are links to some popular meta search engines:
http://www.ask.com
http://www.hotbot.com
http://www.dogpile.com
http://www.metacrawler.com
http://www.mamma.com
http://www.ixquick.com
http://www.highway61.com

OUR SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION PROGRAM
The best way to get noticed by the search engines is to use a professional search \
engine placement service like ours. We use expertise and technological know-how to \
get you top search engine placement:

1. Our professionally trained technicians help you to choose the 20 keyword phrases \
that best reflect the main focus of your site.

2. We use those keywords to optimize your meta tags and build over 100 HTML \
advertising pages designed to conform to the ranking criteria of the top search \
engines.

3. Since many search engines now use link popularity in their rankings, we employ \
link building strategies such as reciprocal link relationships with related \
businesses.

4. We manually submit your site to Web directories like the Open Directory Project. \
(We do not submit to spider-based search engine because research indicates that these \
types of search engines give preference to sites that their spiders find through \
links.)

5. Our online client reporting system puts tracking information at your fingertips so \
that you can monitor your site's progress.

6. Free customer support is always available for active clients through our toll free \
customer support hotline. Active clients can check their search engine keyword \
rankings with our online reporting system.

If you are not an active client and would like information on our Power Click \
Network, search engine optimization services, or a free keyword analysis of your Web \
site please respond to this email and include your name, phone number, and site URL.

SEARCH ENGINE NEWS FROM AROUND THE WEB

Google Launches Internet Coding Battle
http://www.silicon.com/news/500019/1/6062.html

IBM Unveils New Advanced Search Engine
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/corporatenews/view/49350/1html

Overture Enters Spain
http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3078771

Five Common Search Engine Mistakes
http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=124936

LookSmart Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Proposed
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3077341

TO BE TAKEN OFF THE TRAFFICPOST NEWSLETTER MAILING LIST GO TO \
http://trafficpost.net/takemeout.php?email=kde-devel@kde.org