List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: diff creation for newbies
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-08-22 11:22:15

To exclude file and directory names, you can use the -x switch of diff.

Something like
diff -u -r -N -x *.la -x CVS

(I suppose you need more even -x)

There is also -X where the list to exclude is taken from a file.

Be careful not to exclude a pattern that matches a source file.

Perhaps you should use -w (or -b or -B) to avoid including changes that are
only white space.

Have a nice day!