List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: UI Inconsistency OK APPLY buttons
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-01 8:28:01

Am Tuesday 01 April 2003 09:47 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> On 2003. April 01., Tuesday 00:30, Ladislav Strojil wrote:
> > I don't think this wise.
> > Just accept that "Apply" saves the settings.
> > OK saves and exits.
> > Cancel exits without saving.
> >
> > If you save and then exit without saving, you should not expect to have
> > old settings restored.
> >
> > No application I have seen behaves the way you mention.
>
> As I said, I accept the current meaning of Apply, but I think it would be
> better and more consistent (KDE wise, not with other GUIs) to have Preview
> instead of Apply. I don't want to fight for this at all, but sometimes I
> got confused with the current Apply behavior. It's not KDE's fault, but the
> ones who first introduced this in the GUIs. KDE may show some innovation in
> this case.

Yes, but need some help in the framework for this, otherwise it's just too
hard to reimplement. We would need something like
KConfig::freezeAs("initial");
and then on cancel you do KConfig::reconfigureFrom("initial")

BTW: gnome2 is even more innovative here (also more confusing for me, but
you may learn quickly): there is no apply, all actions apply as you change
them and cancel works as expected.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Pace, Peace, Paix, Paz, Frieden, Pax, Pokój