List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: UI Inconsistency OK APPLY buttons
From:       Ladislav Strojil <Ladislav.Strojil () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2003-03-31 21:56:32

On Monday 31 March 2003 23:43, Martin Willers wrote:
> Intuitively, I wouldn't expect an "Apply"-button to actually +save+
> anything (ie. to file). - It just updates the application's current
> running-state. Only the "OK"-button makes this change persistent (ie. saves
> to config).

Well, I expect the "Apply" button to apply the changes. This usually includes
writing them to some file. But it can also mean deleting something, starting
some application, rewriting something, you pick.
What you describe is really called "Preview" not apply, IMHO.

Apply means (and always did) - "do the same thing as OK but do not close this
window".

I see your point but IMHO it would lead to much more confusion and
inconsistence.

> Just my €0,02.
:-)

Cheers,