List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: UI Inconsistency OK APPLY buttons
From:       Ladislav Strojil <Ladislav.Strojil () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2003-03-31 20:36:46

On Monday 31 March 2003 21:12, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On 2003. March 31., Monday 22:20, Ladislav Strojil wrote:
> > > Just for the note: and Cancel cancels the changes also in case when
> > > Apply was pressed before. So in any case after you pressed Cancel the
> > > state of your application/dekstop/whatever should be the same as before
> > > the dialog appeared.
> >
> > Are you sure this is what users expect? For me this seems very confusing
> > behaviour. Maybe if you called "Apply" button "Preview" button instead,
> > but this way I think it is not right.
> >
> > Just my 2c.

<SNIP>
>  Regarding the implementations: the easiest way to do is to save the
> settings when the dialog is shown and apply these saved settings if Cancel
> is pressed. It shouldn't be so hard.

Not all dialogs just change some config file. Some dialogs overwrite files,
startup servers, etc. It could be done but it would be _very_ difficult to
get this _everywhere_, otherwise you would just get an incosistent behaviour.

I personaly like the current behavior. Some dialogs have "preview window"
inside them (eg. color/theme selection in kcontrol).

Cheers,
Láïa

--
    ~       Ladislav Strojil, MFF UK