List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Consistency/Look&Feel in renamedlg
From:       Aryan Ameri <a.ameri () linuxiran ! org>
Date:       2003-03-30 19:17:48

On Sunday 30 March 2003 14:17, jalal wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind:
> European-based languages read from left to right and as such orig on
> left, new on right makes sense. But is it  so intuitive for bidi's?
> The orig on top, new on bottom doesn't suffer from that (thanx to the
> universality of gravity).

I haven't been following the tread so sorry of this isn't the topic of
discussion.
But now that the topic (AFAIKS) is consistency of KDE in BiDi languages
let me report that as a user of a BiDi localized KDE 3.1 (Farsi), I see
many inconsistencies in the KDE interface.

In KDE 3.1 IMHO when the language is changed to a BiDi language
the following changes should also take place (aside from changes that
currently occure).

Kicker should also become right to left. For example the K Menu should
go to the right of the screen, while the clock should go to the left.

The position of buttons (close, maximize, etc) in title bar should also
reverse. For example the close button should go to far left.

there are also other problems. for example, in konqueror's tab bar, when
the number of tabs exceeds a certain number, a little arrow-like button
apears on the bar, to let the user access those tabs which are hidden
from view. In BiDi languages, this little button should apear on the
left of the bar. Currently it apears in right side, and therefore, the
button itself is hidden from the user's view. This will result in the
user, not being able to access some of his tabs. This is a major bug
IMHO.

Other inconsistencies also exist. generaly, as I can say when using KDE
3.1 in a localized BiDi language, the UI has major problems.

Cheers

--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */