List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: $BROWSER environment variable
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-03-28 23:04:16

On Friday 28 March 2003 10:49 pm, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Fre, 28 Mär 2003, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > Yes, but in absence of a .profile setting, KDE could set it to
> > "konqueror". The whole "sensible defaults" thing...
>
> Thats not a sensible default. The sensible default is kfmclient openURL,
> which will launch the browser of the user preference, whether it is
> Konqueror, Mozilla or Opera.

I would have no problem with this at all. My main issue was with the first
poster's assertion that the syntax was difficult.

In fact, because you mentioned kfmclient would automatically figure out the
right browser, the implementation of this would be trivial: just add a line
like so to startkde:

test -z "$BROWSER" && export BROWSER="kfmclient openURL %s"

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>