List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: pkg-config, glib2 etc.
From:       Matthias Kretz <kretz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-18 8:13:20

On Sunday March 16 2003 05:18, Mosfet wrote:
> Sure does look like it. Arts requires glib so in order to install KDE HEAD
> you need to have glib and all it's dependencies installed :/ If you don't
> want to do this you'd better not upgrade.

Yes aRts is using glib since quite some time since a former maintainer of glib
wrote the scheduler for it. Now instead of using its own copy it uses glib
itself. And about the dependencies of glib: at least my debian package tells
me that it only depends on glibc and pkg-config. Now that's really bad, eh?
You need to have glibc installed! ;-) (Sorry, I'm starting to hate all this
discussion about glib...)

> If KDE finds it can effectively benefit from glib I'm all for it.

KDE == aRts?

> I don't
> mean if "this will help gnome interoperate with us better but add bloat to
> KDE". I mean if it offers functionality we really need for KDE. Thus far I
> do not see this as the case. It's just something needed by the soundserver.
> Making KDE require glib just for the soundserver is pretty insane. This
> isn't an interoperability issue - KDE and Gnome do not interoperate any
> better because Arts requires glib code. Maybe Arts itself does, but I think
> very few Gnome people are using Arts and adding dependencies to KDE because
> of it is just wrong if there is no additional benefit.

Again, this is not about adding bloat: it's about using a shared object
instead of statically linking - making that just an _additional_ requirement
for compilation but not for execution.

> These are my thoughts, from mosfet.org:
[snip those thoughts]

You seem to know the needs of aRts pretty good? Please, I haven't seen a lot
of people giving knowledgeable input on this issue. Furthermore there has
been much discussion on kde-multimedia. It seems many of the people who are
flaming around now (sorry this is the feeling I have when reading all those
mails here, not yours in particular) don't know what's been discussed and
what is going to change. If you want to make productive criticism you're
welcome (and please use kde-multimedia for that)...

I still don't understand what you're understanding of bloat is when you're
talking about aRts...

--
C'ya
        Matthias