List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: pkg-config, glib2 etc.
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-17 2:56:00

On Sunday 16 March 2003 21:22, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> "passwd", the command to change passwords in the command line on a
> GNU/Linux system, a command line only program, uses libglib; so, on any
> GNU/Linux system, libglib is already a requirement, at the same level
> of basic requirement as having libc or libz: you simply won't find any
> system without it.

   That's not true for me, and furthermore not true for most non-linux
systems.  KDE is not just for Linux.

> You advocate on writting in raw C instead of using libglib; yes that's
> possible, but it's reinventing the wheel, and reimplemnting again and again
> the same routines on every single program, something which is not only
> a real waste, but also very bug prone.

   It requires developers to learn glib, and to mix glib and qt containers.
It also adds more code and external dependencies, when the developers could
be using Qt in the first place.  The code in KDE that is being proposed to
use glib or already using glib also happens to be code that is severely under
developed and quite problematic.  That means that other developers are
regularily maintaining the code.

   I don't have any intentions of fixing the bugs in glib code.  Do you?  And
are you willing to put that in writing and follow through on it?  As
developers, we signed up for a Qt based project, not a glib based project.  I
don't care if it's called klib even.  The fact that it has a g there is not
an issue.

> > KDE really needs to set limits on what and what is not acceptable in it's
> > core packages.
>
> I don't see requiring libglib any more "unacceptable" than requiring libz
> or libpng...

   I certainly do.  However if we had our own internal, actively maintained
libz equivalent, then I would find libz dependency a problem too.

--

George Staikos