List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts and Loading Time
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-18 18:03:09

Grant Bartlett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed a pile of True Type fonts on my linux box which I
> can use now ( from http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3622 ).
>
> The number of fonts is in the hundred or so.
>
> The problem I am experiening now is that the loading of most KDE apps
> takes an _unbelievable_ amount of time @ 100% CPU usage, and after a bit
> of playing around it seems to relate to the number of fonts.
>
> Surely this is a bug? What's happening every time a KDE application
> boots? The font list being regenerated or something. Is this a Qt issues
> and/or being addressed?
>
> Any insight appreciated.

I don't know much except that that appears to be the case.  Installing FontConfigure might help.

AND, yes I think that this is a serious bug.  If the XLFDs in the: "fonts.dir" or the FontConfig
cache file are not sufficient, then KDE or Qt should make its own font cache files.

Also, any operations regarding fonts should start after the applications starts to appear.  It
should not contribute to that 'black hole' waiting period that makes KDE APPEAR slow.

--
JRT