List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About memory allocation failures....
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-02-28 19:29:27

> > A lot of memory in kde apps running on multiuser servers is wasted to
> > store same things over and over....  I did a full memory dump once on
> > big system running many kde user sessions, and whooping 7% of pages
> > (and page-sized memory chunks, as all offsets were tested) had exact
> > duplicates, and about 20% had duplicates with small differences only -
> > loader fixups :-(( These are resident, live, physical in-ram pages,
> > I'm not talking about swap. All of these pages were owned by kde
> > processes (applications).
>
> Hmm, I thought the OS would have merged the duplicate pages, but of
> course it can't with ones that have small differences. Any ideas how
> that could be fixed ? I'd be interested to hear if it's just a gcc bug,
> or if there's some complex problem behind it, and whether it's FreeBSD
> specific or if it happens on Linux too.

I'm clueless about details. I don't even know how did the duplicate pages got
created in the first place - I assume that they were empty pages, or somesuch
first, and got written to by different processes. No kernel I know of does
really try to merge pages after they have been written to...

As to the other points, I'll reply time permitting.
Cheers,
Kuba