List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Alt-F2] run command tool
From:       Chris Kuhi <kdelists () kuhi ! net>
Date:       2002-02-28 13:44:09

On Thursday 28 February 2002 13:59, Wilco Greven wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 10:48, Jone Marius Vignes wrote:

> > > Hmm... that makes sense :-)
> >
> > There is allready an icon in the Alt-F2 Dialog, why not make that
> > draggable?
>
> Excellent idea. The only problem is that people who don't know
> about dragging items from the K-menu, won't find out about this
> possibility either. But nevertheless it would still be a nice
> feature to add IMO.

I may be out of place here, since I don't know KDE programming that
well yet, but long term wouldn't it make sense to give whatever class
displays icons in general (is there one?) an attribute something like
'AutoDesktopDragable'. I know at least the QListView (Which KListView
inherits) has setDragEnabled for generic drag and drop, but unless
I'm mistaken it requires a bit of work to configure it for specific
functionality. Maybe it's a lot more trivial than it looks, but if
not, a higher level KDE class which gives the developer a clean
default to enable autocreation/autolinking of .desktop files through
drag and drop might encourage a more consistent behaviour (not that
it's not consistent now) for those apps which do this.  There are at
least three places where this happens (kmenu, konqueror, and
kdesktop) and this would be another. Do the other places share code
for that functionality?

Any experienced KDE developers want to straighten me out or refer me
to a section in the Docs, please do.

regards,
--
Chris Kuhi