List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cause of XRender/LD_BIND_NOW interaction found
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-25 23:19:31

On Monday 25 February 2002 02:41 pm, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> > > Can't we add such a dirty hack to kdeinit then? It's ugly but clearing
> > > a few bytes once when KDE starts is not something that anyone will
> > > notice.
> >
> > AFAI understood puetzk, this hack has to go between the two XRENDER calls
> > made by QApplication.
>
> Well... it might be possible to do it from kdeinit (just have to poison
> *lots* more stack, since qt is gonna use quite a bit). I have no great
> ideas on how to guess how much it will take.

Can you try to find that out? (If you run it from gdb and put a breakpoint in
your current hack, you should get an idea of how much stack you need.

> Another arguably more sane solution is for qt to statically link the
> contents of libXrender from X4.2 (iirc, about 17k of code). Then it would
> just another lib where qt has -system-xrender or -qt-xrender linked, at
> ./configure time. Distros not shipping X4.2 would have to build with
> -qt-xrender. This would also give non-xfree86 qt's RENDER support, just in
> case they ever connected to an xfree86 display :-).

Right, well that's something TrollTech will have to decide. But it would be
nice to know whether we can work around it in kdeinit in case TrollTech isn't
forthcoming.

What also may help is to press the KDE packagers who work for distros to make
fixed Xfree packages available together with KDE 3.0. After all, that's where
the bug is. I don't know if there is a simple patch available for 4.1 though.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer