List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Non-G++ Programming Hints ...
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-02-25 12:38:30

> I'd really like to see that sometime :-). Yes, the STL is hard to use but
> it's consistent, well documented, and the basic features don't take very
> long to learn. And container abstraction can be a life saver.

Correct me please and excuse my ignorance if I'm somehow mistaken, but I
believe there are no man pages for it, nor are there info pages, and AFAIK no
other "good documentation" for STL comes with any Linux distro, so I consider
this all bull. Excuse me, please.

I find it decently tiresome to read STL headers and source code just to find
out what it does, and when doing a lot of travelling it doesn't come handy to
take one of those brick-sized C++ books, and I don't have too much money to
spend on those books anyway. And those brick-sized books typically don't
explain the "standardized" behavioral details of the methods, so for some
atypical uses (say trying to use buffered ifstream to read from the serial
port) I'm stuck with using handmade classes, because in some manners both
gnu, msvc and borland's STL implementations differ so wildly, that there
could have been no standard as well... And those differences are both in
performance and low-level-behaviour (say what reads/writes/seeks are done on
a file handle in what situations).

And STL is based on a closed standard (i.e. you have to pay hard currency to
get it), so even if I wished for, I couldn't get one without digging in my
pocket first. So for me at least, there's even no way to check to what extent
say the gcc3 STL implementation is something to take as a reasonable
representation of what is to be found on other systems, because I don't have
the standard...

Does anybody out there know of some decent, free, standard-compliant STL
documentation that would be readable on a text-mode console (not necessarily
80x25, they come larger nowadays as well ;-) ? I accept using links as the
viewer.

Cheers, Kuba