List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kbuildsycoca crashes
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-23 21:52:12

On Saturday 23 February 2002 10:43 am, jonathan_brugge wrote:
> I think this is the list where I should post this,

That is correct.

> I'm wondering what to do about this. Google doesn't tell me what's wrong
> and it doesn't give a usable stack trace because I built with
> --disable-debug (yes, flame me to hell...I don't know enough about KDE to
> help out with bugs, so I decided I didn't need debug-info in KDE. Second
> reason is that I'm short on diskspace for now).

Only fools would flame you :-) Problem is that without debug-info and without
usable trace it is really hard to find the problem, but let's try:

There is something that you can do without having debug info. You can run
"strace -t kbuildsycoca > kbuildsycoca.strace" and send me that file IN
PRIVATE MAIL.

Otherwise, can you try to recompile parts of KDE with debug info? Good
candidates would be kdelibs/kio/kio and kdelibs/kdecore. To do so you should
edit the "Makefile" in that directory and replace -O2 (or -O3 or whatever
number you have) with "-g". Then do a "make install" in kdelibs/kdecore and
kdelibs/kio (not just in kdelibs/kio/kio!)

The warnings about KoDataTool are harmless btw.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer