List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Still can't compile kdegraphics.
From:       Alan Chandler <alan () chandlerfamily ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-23 12:35:23

I am stuck

I have been trying to compile the latest version of kde from cvs - but
kdegraphics has got me beat since about last Tuesday.

I had a problem with libpng between version 2 and 3 - but this is now sorted
and I have rebuild kdelibs so that it properly links with libpng.so.3
(libqt-mt is too).  This is installed in the default place /usr/local/kde/lib
and my LD_LIBRARY_PATH has this and the qt-copy/lib as the two library paths
(and I am sure thats right, because all the other modules such as kdebase etc
build without problems).  KDEDIR is set to /usr/local/kde.

But - my make of kdegraphics continually fails with the following errors
inside libkscan

.libs/gammadialog.o: In function `GammaDialog::GammaDialog(QWidget *)':
.libs/gammadialog.o(.text+0x55): undefined reference to
`KDialogBase::KDialogBase(QWidget *, char const *, bool, QString const &,
int, KDialogBase::ButtonCode, bool, QString const &, QString const &, QString
const &)'
.libs/scansourcedialog.o: In function
`ScanSourceDialog::ScanSourceDialog(QWidget *, QStrList, ADF_BEHAVE)':
.libs/scansourcedialog.o(.text+0x55): undefined reference to
`KDialogBase::KDialogBase(QWidget *, char const *, bool, QString const &,
int, KDialogBase::ButtonCode, bool, QString const &, QString const &, QString
const &)'
.libs/devselector.o: In function `DeviceSelector::DeviceSelector(QWidget *,
QStrList &, QStringList const &)':
.libs/devselector.o(.text+0x55): undefined reference to
`KDialogBase::KDialogBase(QWidget *, char const *, bool, QString const &,
int, KDialogBase::ButtonCode, bool, QString const &, QString const &, QString
const &)'
.libs/img_canvas.o: In function `ImageCanvas::createContextMenu(void)':
.libs/img_canvas.o(.text+0xb5c): undefined reference to
`KIconLoader::loadIcon(QString const &, int, int, int, QString *, bool)
const'
.libs/img_canvas.o(.text+0xc39): undefined reference to
`KIconLoader::loadIcon(QString const &, int, int, int, QString *, bool)
const'
.libs/img_canvas.o(.text+0xd11): undefined reference to
`KIconLoader::loadIcon(QString const &, int, int, int, QString *, bool)
const'
.libs/img_canvas.o(.text+0xde9): undefined reference to
`KIconLoader::loadIcon(QString const &, int, int, int, QString *, bool)
const'
.libs/imgscaledialog.o: In function `ImgScaleDialog::ImgScaleDialog(QWidget *,
int, char const *)':
.libs/imgscaledialog.o(.text+0x52): undefined reference to
`KDialogBase::KDialogBase(QWidget *, char const *, bool, QString const &,
int, KDialogBase::ButtonCode, bool, QString const &, QString const &, QString
const &)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libkscan.la.closure] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kde/kdegraphics/libkscan'

Both KDialogBase and KIconLoader are core classes within kdelibs - I can see
no reason why this compilation should fail.  Indeed as in the previous thread
on the kde user mailing list about this others seem not to have any problems.

As far as I can see from the make output the correct libraries (at least
KDialoogBase is in libkdeui) are being used. Here is the line from make that
seems to cause the above errors and /usr/local/kde/lib/libkdeui.so is listed
as an input to this link

c++ -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST
-o libkscan.la.closure .libs/libkscan_la_closure.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib
.libs/kscandevice.o .libs/kscanslider.o .libs/kgammatable.o
.libs/kscanoption.o .libs/kscanoptset.o .libs/gammadialog.o .libs/dispgamma.o
.libs/scansourcedialog.o .libs/scanparams.o .libs/massscandialog.o
.libs/devselector.o .libs/scandialog.o .libs/img_canvas.o .libs/previewer.o
.libs/imgscaledialog.o .libs/sizeindicator.o .libs/libkscan_la_meta_unload.o
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/src/kde/qt-copy/lib -L/usr/local/kde/lib -L/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libsane.so -lnsl /usr/lib/libjpeg.so /usr/local/kde/lib/libkio.so
-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4 /usr/local/kde/lib/libkdeui.so
/usr/local/kde/lib/libkdefx.so -lXrender /usr/local/kde/lib/libkdesu.so
/usr/local/kde/lib/libkdecore.so /usr/local/kde/lib/libDCOP.so -lqt-mt -lpng
-lX11 -lSM -lICE -lpthread -ldl -lXext -lresolv -lutil -lz /usr/lib/libfam.so
-lstdc++ -lm -lc -lgcc -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/kde/lib -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/kde/lib

Unfortunately, I find the way makefile.am is constructed fairly opaque and
there is not any guiding docs that I have been able to find.

Can someone help me through this please

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk