List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New shutdown feature on logout (and "halt" vs. "shutdown")
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-22 1:04:37

On Thursday 21 February 2002 04:14 pm, Emmanuel le Chevoir wrote:
> On Friday 22 February 2002 00:59, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > Wy not:
> > >
> > > 1. Power off
> > > 2. Restart Computer
> > > 3. Logout
> >
> > Best proposal, if you ask me :)
>
> Certainly, but «Power off» is not adapted at all. Not all systems *do*
> Power off on shutdown. It heavily depends on Hardware and Operating System.
> And KDE should not make any supposition about any of these parameters.

That is hardly relevant. The options should reflect your intentions. Whether
you have to do some physical action in addition to that makes little
difference. I mean when I select "Print" I may also need to insert paper in
the machine first. That doesn't mean we should call that option "Send to
printer and wait for paper".

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer