List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-04-02 19:49:05

On Monday 02 April 2001 20:50, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2001 09:46, Harri Porten wrote:
> > aleXXX wrote:
> > > Maybe something could be done about the files which are parsed by every
> > > app: kdebugrc, kdegloabls, kstylerc, index.desktop of the icon themes.
> >
> > Yes. Following the ksyscoca principle: a binary cache that is only
> > refreshed if the original file was modified meanwhile. Any obstacles I
> > oversee ?
>
> The main problem is our high level of configurability. We check many places
> for files and we can't cache them all since they depend on factors like the
> local weather (Well, almost).
>
> We might be able to do something that helps the common case though.

What's the difference between resourceDirs("services") - which kded already
"monitors" - and locate("config","kstylerc") ?

Hmm, we can't cache kdeglobals since it's behind all the KConfigs we read...
"kdebugrc" would only speed things up for developers.
And you seem to save that the icon themes don't make a difference.

It seems this good idea doesn't apply to many files :(